Two Types of People: Donda vs. CLB

Albums Donda and CLB spark controversy about if Drake or Kanye had the better album.

There are two types of people in this world. There are those who pour the milk first, and those who pour the cereal first. 

There are other ways to split the world in two such as, do you cover your French fries in ketchup or do you make a little pile on the side? Are you the person who only sets one alarm or do you need thirty five? Are you team Drake, or team Kanye? 

With two of the rap game’s most famous stars both dropping albums almost back to back, it was the perfect time to find out if Norwalk High School is a “Drake or Kanye” type of school. Without a doubt most of you have probably heard of these two artists due to their incredible success in the rap/pop industry with millions upon millions of downloads and streams each. Drake released his newest album, Certified Lover Boy (CLB) to the public on September 3rd, 2021. The album was streamed over 150 million times within the first twenty four hours alone. Kayne’s album, Donda, was released a couple days before on August 29th and topped out at ninety five million streams within the first day. It has been about a month or so since the albums have dropped and students first listened to the albums. Opinions have been formed and arguments to support them. Now all that remains is to ask the question… “CLB or Donda?”. 

Those exact three words were asked to 85 random Norwalk High School students as they entered the lunch room, nothing more… nothing less. When Mashal Noory (‘24) was asked the question, she immediately made her opinion known by taking my notepad and scribbling “CLB>Donda.” Although others might have agreed with Noory in the long run, the majority of voters were not nearly as sold on the album as she was. Lexi White (‘22) was asked the same question and said, “You can mark me down as the biggest Drake fan in the school, but I’ll admit the album was not as good as I was hoping for and even though I think it is better than Donda it is pretty close.” 

On the opposite side of the spectrum, Kanye got his fair share of love too, Theo Mante (‘23) said, “Anyone who says CLB is better than Donda is lying and they know it, everybody knows Kanye is better.” Just seconds after Mante gave his quote, Griffin McMahon (‘22) gave his thoughts, “I did not exactly like Donda or CLB. I just think that both Drake and Kanye are capable of better. If I had to choose one or the other I would pick Donda but not by much.” 

After two brutal lunch shifts the question had finally been answered, eighty five opinions were given and only four arguments were started amongst lunch tables. The official tally was thirty votes for Donda and fifty five for CLB. 

There are two types of people in this world, and Norwalk High is filled with the Drake kind.