The source for all NHS news, sports, opinion, and entertainment. For the students by the students.

NHS BEARS DEN

NHS BEARS DEN

NHS BEARS DEN

End of The Finish Line

End of the season review with some of the sprinters on the Outdoor Track team.

With all spring sports coming to an end and summer right around the corner, Outdoor Track is coming to an end after having one of their most weirdest seasons.  When you think of Outdoor Track you think you go outside on the track field and practice everyday to get better but for this season that is not the case.  With all the construction happening, the track team hasn’t had a chance to practice outdoor so they had to spend majority of their season indoor.  Even with using Nathan Hale’s field sometimes for practice it’s been harding trying to practice there because they have to share it with girls and boys lacrosse.  It was basically indoor track all over again for Outdoor Track but it was no challenge for our team because of all our players who are dedicated to the game.

I feel like this is a season that no one has ever experienced

— Avoy Chowdhury

With the end of the season right around the corner, two players on the team were able to talk about their thoughts about this season.  Avoy Chowdhury, 10th grader going into his 2nd season for outdoor track was able to talk about his entire experience this season on how it went.  He started it off by saying this season was no where close to what they did last season.  Last season when they had a track they would do these workouts no one that’s new to track would know how it feels and with having no track this year they weren’t able to get all these workouts done but recently since the weather has been good they’ve been doing it more recently.  He described this season as “A season no one has experienced” because no one understands how much the track team got affected with the construction by having no track.  The point of outdoor track is to go out and practice outside everyday but with just staying inside almost the whole season it’s indoor all over again and it just doesn’t feel the same.  This whole season Avoy felt like he had to work on his form because some people don’t know that the key to people being so fast and doing good in track meets is having a good form.  Not only does having a good form prevent injuries from happening, it also really helps on making your workouts easier because it just forces the athlete to do more work in what he is doing and it can cause accident that can really affect the athlete.

I feel like my job isn’t finished yet and there’s still things I have to do to get better at and improve.

— Emmanuel Then Rojas

Emmanuel Then Rojas

Sophomore, Emmanuel Then Rojas described this season as pretty good so far but he’s been struggling half the season with no where to practice for upcoming events for tracks.  He mainly focuses on hurdling and high jump for track and having to do that inside is something he felt like affected in his meets but he didn’t let that stop him since he is used to training inside because of indoor track.  He’s been a great hurdler ever since joining the team averaging 40 seconds for 300m hurdles, best being 46.18 also for 100m hurdles his best being 11.98.  Even with everything that he has accomplished so far in track he still feels like the job isn’t over and there’s still more things that has to get done.  He feels like he has to work on his technique more because he feels like that’s something he’s been having trouble with and his goal is to try and win FCIACS and states.  He’s already qualified for FCIACS and states so this shouldn’t’ be a problem for him.

With FCIACS around the corner, the season is now officially coming to an end and going into off season.  From what it looks like, we won’t be getting a track for a long time so for all the upcoming seasons so every track player has to keep pushing and get better even without having a track to practice on.  Good luck to the people that qualified for FCIACS and good luck to all the players for next season.