The source for all NHS news, sports, opinion, and entertainment. For the students by the students.

NHS BEARS DEN

NHS BEARS DEN

NHS BEARS DEN

A New Chapter For Track

Wyatt Fumega and Hunter Duncan talk about how the season has been so far without having a track
    Norwalk High before construction

For years, Norwalk High School’s field has been used for almost every sport and it’s played a huge roll for the community ever since it was built.  It’s been there ever since teachers that went to Norwalk High been there but until this year that is now coming to an end.  For the first time ever in Norwalk High School history they will take down Testa field and start building the new school that they have been talking about for the last few years.  Taking down the Testa Field is going to really affect every sport for Norwalk High but the one sport that it is going to affect is track.  Every other sport has their own place to practice while track only has the school to practice and just run around.  It is hard for every track player to practice and improve this season, coming from a track player myself so I got two track players to talk about what they think about this season so far and what they think about having no track to practice at.

Having no track will definitely affect me but that’s something that’s not going to stop me and will just make me keep pushing forward

— Wyatt Fumega

Sophomore, Wyatt Fumega started playing track in the 5th grade until he got injured, then years later he decided to give it another shot his freshman year.  Wyatt might’ve not ran for years but he didn’t let that stop him from joining the team.  So far this off-season Wyatt Fumega has been improving during indoor track he was averaging 1.29 for fly 10s now he is starting to averaging anything below 1.25.  The goal Wyatt is trying to achieve this season is to be able to qualify for FCIACS, it has always been something he’s wanted to achieve since a part of the team but with now having no track it is going to be hard to achieve this season.  With all the construction happening the sport that is affected the most is track because it is the only sport that doesn’t have its own place to practice at besides the school.  One thing about Wyatt is that anything is possible he thinks if he practices everyday and stays in shape he can go to FCIACS and possibly be a champion.

The people who are always persistent in what they do are the ones that always come out to victory at the end

— Hunter Duncan

Sophomore, Hunter Duncan who has a really close relationship with Wyatt is also a track star that has been one of the teams best players the last couple of years.  Once he joined the team in 9th grade he already made a school record by having the second fastest fly 10 ever by a freshman (1.04).  He is currently ranked 7th fastest person on the team and is trying to go back to FCIACS.  Hunter called this season “Indoor all over again” because they have been doing the same thing they do in indoor so it’s all basically a repeat.  Hunter had a lot to say about having no track to practice on especially with it affecting the team.  He said “We have all the young star players who are breaking records out here and we can’t let it all come to a waste.”  His response really meant a lot but Hunter does still think even though we have no track and it might be different and challenging with all the people on the team that isn’t going to be a problem.  According to Hunter the entire track team is filled with people who are never willing to give up no matter how hard it is, the people who are always persistent in what they do are the ones that always come out to victory at the end.

Overall this season has been a challenge for the track team with all the construction happening but that’s not the end for track.  They’re still goin to be on top of everything and everyone and will stay better and stronger.  To come support the track team and go to all their meets, the schedule is attached below and make sure to attend all of them before the season comes to an end!