The source for all NHS news, sports, opinion, and entertainment. For the students by the students.

NHS BEARS DEN

NHS BEARS DEN

NHS BEARS DEN

Golf Goes For The Gold

Norwalk Boys Golf’s Frank Bergin takes us through the final Boys Golf tournaments of the 2023 season.

This season I’m extremely proud of this years accomplishments with players and improvements.

— Coach Giglioti

As the only junior starting for the Norwalk High Boys Golf team, Frank Bergin has been on a roll.

Along side his other teammates Mitchell Hjelmar, Dougie Cahill, And Jayden Roman, these four players advanced to the 2023 Chappa Invitational Golf Tournament to end of their season. Bergin also represented the Norwalk High Golf Team at the Hap Holahan Golf Tournament at the Woodbury Country Club.

This past season, the Golf team has had lots of accomplishments when it came to setting goals. The Boys golf team hasn’t been in a state tournament for the past few years and were ready to hop on this opportunity. Bergin, returning for the second year in a row, talks about his first hand experience at the 2023 Chappa Boys Golf Tournament at the Longshore Golf Course in Westport, CT.

From Left to Right: Coach Serrechio, Senior Dougie Cahill, Senior Mitchell Hjelmar, Junior Frank Bergin, Senior Jayden Roman, and Coach Giglioti.

“I was a more experienced player this year so I was more confident going into the match. I had a good time playing alongside my fellow teammate, Jayden. We didn’t finish with our desired outcome, but all in all we enjoyed our time on the course.”

Coach Giglioti is proud of the performance his boys put on over the course of this season. “Even though we didn’t get a win this time around, this season I’m extremely proud of this years accomplishments with players and improvements.” With one of the biggest groups of lower classmen Norwalk Boys Golf has ever seen, Coach Gigliotti is excited for the future of the program in the next few years.

Bergin also participated in the 2023 Hap Holahan Golf Tournament as the only representative from Norwalk High. “I didn’t play my best on the front nine, but finished strong on the back nine. Overall, it was a fun experience.” Though he didn’t finish how he hoped, Frank is working to improve and come back stronger for next year’s tournament.

Over the off-season a lot of guys are going to improve their game so we can have a good season next year.

— Frank Bergin

Looking ahead to the 2024 season, Frank will be the only returning player from the starting eight for the Norwalk Bears. “I think we are going to have a solid year. Over the off-season a lot of guys are going to improve their game so we can have a good season next year.”

The Bears have a hopeful future with lots of young talent after they had a 20+ person roster this season. As a future leader of this team, Frank is setting a great example for his younger teammates and strives to achieve more goals in his next and final season as a Norwalk Bear.