The source for all NHS news, sports, opinion, and entertainment. For the students by the students.

NHS BEARS DEN

NHS BEARS DEN

NHS BEARS DEN

On Deck!

Get a look into the Norwalk High School softball team’s preseason expectations for the 2024 season.

The 2024 spring season is on the horizon! After a successful season last year, the Norwalk Softball team is ready to come back better than ever for the spring season.

The girls are starting fresh this season with a new coaching staff, led by Head Coach Cary Nadel and former Norwalk High softball players, Katie Sciglimaglia, Brianna Muro, and Benni Tucci.

As the winter season approaches its end, let’s talk to the players about their plans and expectations for the upcoming season.

With the construction of the new high school, the girls also face the challenge of playing their home games across town at Brien McMahon High School. “I’m upset that we aren’t able to play at our own field, but the field at McMahon is going to become a second home for us.” says junior, Madison Collins. “We will adapt to the change very well and be able to succeed regardless.”

Last season, the girls finished with a record of 10-7 to secure their spot in FCIACs. In the first round of the playoffs, the varsity squad took down the number two seed, Ridgefield, to make it to the FCIAC semifinals at Fairfield University. Unfortunately, the girls lost in the semifinals to the third seed, St. Josephs to end their post season run in conference play. 

“We hope to get deeper into the FCIACs and states this season,” says junior Emily Restaino. With the new coaching staff and lots of new talent, the girls are hopeful to finish the season with a better record than last year, and have an unforgettable season.

“We are a young team which gives us the opportunity to build a strong program over the next few years.” says Restaino. 

As the 2024 season approaches, the girls are gearing up for tryouts. Over the winter, the team worked three to four days a week in the weight room and at weekly skills practices.

“Our team bond is stronger than ever,” Restaino explains. Throughout the off season, the team has made an effort to improve their team chemistry to better their game on the field, and have special connections off the field. “As a team, we set a goal to always support each other and hold each other accountable.” says sophomore, Maddie O’Brien. 

With a large pool of talent, the softball program is looking at a bright future. Under the leadership of the upperclassmen, the Norwalk Softball team is looking forward to a very successful season and a long run in the playoffs. 

The girls kick off their season at home on the turf against New Milford on Saturday. March 30 2024. Come out and support the Norwalk Softball team!