The source for all NHS news, sports, opinion, and entertainment. For the students by the students.

NHS BEARS DEN

NHS BEARS DEN

NHS BEARS DEN

Diving Into The End of The Season With Kevin Guerra

Look back at the high school career of swimmer/diver Kevin Guerra
Senior Swimmer/Diver Kevin Guerra

You might hit a wall, you might feel exhausted but that’s where you really need to start pushing and where you really need to get through it.

— Kevin Guerra

These last four years for Kevin Guerra have been something that he will never forget and will forever impact his life.  Ever since the age of four, Kevin Guerra has been in and out the pool playing a huge role in the swimming/diving team.  This year was Kevin’s last year of being on the team so he knew he had to make it count and give it everything he got.  He decided to give diving a shot because he had a pretty good relationship with Coach Guster and little did he know few months later he would be one of the best to ever do it.  Almost everyday after school, Kevin would be in the pool practice diving and Coach Guster would be on the side giving him advice what to work on each time.

Kevin was very lucky to have coaches that have supported him since day 1 and be there and play a huge role model in his life.  Coach Minnoci and Coach Zajdel have been working with Kevin since his sophomore year when he first joined the team.  Coach Zajdel described Kevin as a “Charismatic and energetic individual that has lots of natural talents.  When he is focused and determined, he can achieve anything he sets his mind to.”  Coach Minnoci also described Kevin as a “Very hard worker willing to do whatever it takes to get the job done.”  Kevin Guerra just started to work with Ms. Guster this year to try diving instead.  He had to quit swimming just to do diving but little did he know that decision could potentially change his future.  Kevin started off a little slow at first but after working with Ms. Guster everyday after school he became one of the best divers on the team.  Ms. Guster talked about how switching to diving is a very big task to learn and for Kevin to make FCIACS his first time ever diving shows how good of a teammate he is and how coachable of a player he is.  Kevin described his change to diving as “A change of pace for this year and do something interesting and different from last year since it’s my senior year.”

Kevin is a player that’s very charismatic and energetic that has lots of very young talent.

— Coach Zajdel

Ever since Kevin’s Freshman year, he has made lots of friendships with all of his teammates and coaches.  Coach Minnoci (head coach of swimming) is the one that brings all the energy to swimming and he doesn’t only make sure that all the swimmers are doing good he also makes sure they’re all good people.  Coach Barone and Coach Zajdel are the coaches that make sure the team is never giving up whenever things get hard for them and they reach a wall, the team still makes sure to keep pushing forward.  Coach Guster (diving head coach) is very patient with all her divers because she knows spending time with them everyday and giving them advice they will be the best divers with a great future ahead of them.

Kevin has been swimming since the age of four, diving since his senior year and that is now possibly coming to an end.  Kevin wants to pursue weight lifting and body lifting in college and he said “I don’t really see myself swimming/diving competitively in my future.”  But he did say if he has the opportunity to do it in college he will give it a try and see how it turns out.  I just want to congratulate Kevin Guerra and his amazing swimming/diving career with Norwalk High and wish him good luck to what he is doing in college.

Here is the documentary of Kevin Guerra and how his last four years has been like with the swimming team.  Hope this inspires to everyone that wants to be a swimmer/diver one day!