The source for all NHS news, sports, opinion, and entertainment. For the students by the students.

NHS BEARS DEN

NHS BEARS DEN

NHS BEARS DEN

Day In The Life of a Wrestler

What John Vozzella and Jelani Hampton does in the day of a wrestling match

The Norwalk High wrestling team is just around and one thing that is very important is having a preparation right before games.  All the players have a daily routine that they do during the off season and before games.  It’s what helps them stay in shape for their season and helps them get better and better each day.

Wrestler John Vozzella who also does judo outside of school does a lot of preparation during the off season to keep himself in shape.  John has been going on daily runs almost everyday and has been going to the gym regularly to keep himself in wrestling shape.  John has a really good eating routine during the off season, he eats something light with any type of meat and vegetables and he makes sure to only drink water no juice because he wants to keep himself hydrated.  John’s favorite artist to listen to before games is Chief Keef he thinks every athlete should have an artist to keep themselves motivated for games.  John also likes to stay warm and imagine himself winning because it’s what keeps him going during games and thinking positive all the time is something he’s been doing for years to help him win.  Finally what helps John stay motivated is to feel the progress, getting better everyday and achieving all his goals.

Wrestler Jelani Hampton focuses a lot on going to the Gym during the off season.  During the off season when he goes to the gym he focuses on increasing his strength because he said “With wrestling, it’s more about stamina/endurance rather than strength training.”  John has a few things in his daily eating routine, before he starts a match he usually eats brown rice, chicken tenders with turkey bacon.  Jelani likes to listen to songs that help him stay motivated for his matches.  Before he starts a match the two songs he mainly listens to is Monster by Skillet and It’s my life by Bon Jovi.  What Jelani does to get ready for a game and stay motivated for upcoming games is staying in a warriors mindset and that’s just him and his opponent on the mat.

This year the wrestling team is trying to stay in shape and stay fit for the entire season.  They want to make this one of their best seasons ever because they have lots of new people joining this year and lots of people leaving the team soon so they want to make this season count before every senior leaves.

I hope after reading all of this it makes you want to change your daily routine.  Every athlete has their own daily routine and things they do in a day and that’s what makes them who they are.  What John and Jelani do makes them stay in shape, stay energetic, stay productive and stay positive all the time.

Wrestler John Vozzella first season of wrestling
Wrestling team practicing and getting ready for the season
One of Jelani Hampton’s first match as a wrestler
Jelani Hampton before a wrestling match