When Am I Ever Going To Use . . .

Find out what Norwalk High School believes is the most important subject to learn.

“When am I ever going to use . . .” is what some students ask to challenge to a teacher, basically saying, “Prove to me that I need this in my life.” However, some students ask it sincerely, honestly wanting to know how it might be used in the future. Wanting to know what others think is the most crucial subject to learn for when you get out of high school, I asked students and staff their opinions on what subject is the most important for after high school.

Students, Matt and Johnluca agreed that topics in the social studies category were most prevalent. 

Matt Remson (23′) exclaimed, “Government makes the citizens of this country educated voters. It gives power to the people.”

Johnluca Milone (23′) agreed, “A lot of people aren’t informed on what occurs today, current issues (a social studies class offered at Norwalk High) helps keep people up-to-date.”

Mr. Laughton, United States history teacher, says that social studies makes people open up their eyes to see the world around them. It is important to be “civically engaged.”

Along with history, health has been deemed in the running for most crucial subject to learn and for good reason.

Health is a topic that follows you and is relevant during your whole life. Health teaches you about STDs, birth control, consent, drug use, etc… To defend her favorite subject, Ms. Martinez, a physical education and health teacher says, “It is going to matter now and in 5, 10, 15, 20, and beyond years from now. She also stated to support her argument, “I’ve never used pre-calc once.”

I’ve never used pre-calc once.

— Ms. Martinez

Someone else did to make your life easier.

— Mr. Lepoutre

In response to Martinez, Mr. Lepoutre, a math teacher replied, “Someone else did to make her life easier.” He explained how math is important because you take basic assumptions to create logical argument. In math, there is a right and a wrong and you can justify your answer. Lepoutre believes the most important skill is to form a valid argument.

Mr. Williams, a security guard agreed with Lepoutre. “In this world today, most of what you need is numbers,” Williams said. Math is needed because it teaches you how to count, measure, add, subtract, etc…

Thinking in a different way, Mr. Surace, a guidance councilor said he believes English is something you will need later in life.  English classes cover reading, writing, and there’s exposure to good literature. It is also tied to historical eras.

After hearing from the voices of Norwalk High School, in my opinion, learning about the past is the most crucial to the future so, history is the most important subject you need to learn. Social studies helps young people develop the ability to make informed and reasoned decisions for the public good as citizens of a culturally diverse, democratic society in an interdependent world. In essence, social studies promotes knowledge of and involvement in civic affairs. What do you believe is the most important subject to learn in school?